Welcome

You should probably read the very first entry to grasp the point of this blog.

In a nutshell, I am an aging diabetic striving to accomplish one last grand physical endeavor before time limits my options.
My drive towards the ultra-marathon was tied to raising funds for Juvenile Diabetes Research, but it has been closed. I still encourage you to visit the JDRF web site and make a pledge --> http://www.jdrf.org/

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Taking it in Stride…

June 5th, 2010:  Week two the track was extended to 5.5 miles and I accomplished the route at a ten minute pace, but I was whipped.  I was running in dead heat though (temperature was around ninety degrees), so I will try to back off the pace since my attempt to extend runs to twenty miles will occur over summer and it will only get hotter the next two months.

June 13th, 2010:  Week three upped the ante to 6.3 miles, a hair over a 10K, and I managed to dedicate myself to an eleven minute pace throughout.  This worked quite well as I completed the run with gas in the tank at the end.  The fun aspect of my running route is that I plod from our home south towards Carolina Beach, my favorite beach town.  Getting to know
Carolina Beach Road
quite well and pumped to realize the day when I can get there.  It is only six miles away, but the round trip will be twelve!

June 20th, 2010: Kim and I drove down to Carolina Beach Saturday morning to visit the farmer’s market there and it was motivating to see how far down the road I had already ventured.  Spied out my next turn around, which was a bend in the road where I could see the bridge over Snow’s Cut Bridge, which gets you to Carolina Beach.  Will need to add another mile, but an inspiring goal...

Later today I completed my 7.4 mile circuit today at a twelve minute pace.  A bit discouraged that the pace continues to slip, but I was religious in maintaining a slow trod in the afternoon sun and only permitted myself to pick things up when I got back to within two miles of home.  Good news is that once again I felt pretty good at completion and I was psyched when I reached the turn-around point and could glimpse Snow’s Cut Bridge!

No comments:

Post a Comment