Welcome

You should probably read the very first entry to grasp the point of this blog.

In a nutshell, I am an aging diabetic striving to accomplish one last grand physical endeavor before time limits my options.
My drive towards the ultra-marathon was tied to raising funds for Juvenile Diabetes Research, but it has been closed. I still encourage you to visit the JDRF web site and make a pledge --> http://www.jdrf.org/

Saturday, October 1, 2011

All Systems Go

Received several boosts the past two days and I am very grateful.  First, the above e-mail got a pleasant response and I am exultant to report I will be devoting time today writing thank-you notes to a lot of wonderful friends!


On the physical front, I went out and ran eighteen miles this morning without any repercussions to the calf!  I was only supposed to do sixteen, but with my calf holding together and recalling all the miles forfeited while waiting for it to heal kept me going.  The run also reinforced how much temperature influences things.  Just a few weeks back I was forced to walk for stretches because I would be overwhelmed by fatigue, but trotting in sixty-degree weather completely vanquished this concern.


Today’s run also afforded the opportunity to fine tune outfitting my new running back pack with the CGM sensor.  I positioned my sensor in a much better place this time, so neither the hydro belt nor the straps from my pack irritated the site.  It was a blessing to run without holding onto the dang belt and fussing over my monitor, plus I finally was able to test the features of my pack.


The pack holds another two water bottles and although they looked a bit inaccessible where tucked in, it was remarkably easy to pluck them out while on the move.  Also tested the "distress whistle" (built right in to the backpack), which is another piece of required gear for the Reunion run.


Bottom line is that I am beginning to feel ready to take this monster on, but the balance of the weekend will be devoted to getting packed up, because it is off for a road trip Monday and there won’t be much time after getting back before the adventure begins!

No comments:

Post a Comment