Welcome

You should probably read the very first entry to grasp the point of this blog.

In a nutshell, I am an aging diabetic striving to accomplish one last grand physical endeavor before time limits my options.
My drive towards the ultra-marathon was tied to raising funds for Juvenile Diabetes Research, but it has been closed. I still encourage you to visit the JDRF web site and make a pledge --> http://www.jdrf.org/

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Running to Reunion Part I: We’re Off

Well, the race has been run, but before I close the door it seems I need to write up the final saga, which was the climax after all.  I will preface the conclusion by pointing out you are still welcome to make a donation to my fund raiser through the end of 2011.  JDRF is a wonderful cause and I am living proof of the value of its research.  Without the discovery of insulin therapy I wouldn’t be around at all by the age of fifty, let alone attempting something as preposterous as running Le Grand Raid.


If you’ve received any entertainment or inspiration from these ramblings I urge you to drop by my  JDRF web site and make a contribution!  For all of my wonderful friends who have already done so, I will never be able to express my gratitude – thank you , thank you, thank you.



But on to the adventure…


Saturday October 8th, 2011.   The plan was to rendezvous in Paris with my brother-in-law Jeff and catch a Sunday evening flight to Reunion together.  The wrinkle was an e-mail arriving the day before departure from Air Austral, the Paris-to-Reunion carrier, advising a twelve hour delay, bumping departure from Sunday evening to Monday morning.  This necessitated finding a place to stay Sunday night in Paris, and our car rental pick-up and Monday night accommodations on the island will be jeopardized by this development.



So we start knowing there will be some crap to work through, but no matter.  Anxiety always seems to evaporate when the trip begins -you live in the moment and focus on curing the matter-at-hand rather than worry.  I’m viewing this as bonus time to spend with friends Rudolph and Jacomien, who are also en route to Paris (from The Hague) to join us.  We should be able to make some lemonade in Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment