Welcome

You should probably read the very first entry to grasp the point of this blog.

In a nutshell, I am an aging diabetic striving to accomplish one last grand physical endeavor before time limits my options.
My drive towards the ultra-marathon was tied to raising funds for Juvenile Diabetes Research, but it has been closed. I still encourage you to visit the JDRF web site and make a pledge --> http://www.jdrf.org/

Monday, December 6, 2010

Join My Journey

June, 2010

So with a lot of help from my friends, here’s a web site where I will dutifully track the trials and tribulations around the attempt to run Le Grand Raid in the fall of 2011 (though Reunion is south of the equator so it will be springtime there!).  The goal of this blog is to educate, entertain and expand horizons, with the hope that any of those tacks compensates for any donation you might make to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (I still have to get the fund raising part set up).

I will try to make regular posts along several themes.  The emphasis will be on the training regimen as I prepare this flea-bag, chronic-disease laden carcass of mine into shape for the challenge of Le Grand Raid.  While the race looms as the primary component, travel is another critical facet: I firmly believe getting out and exploring the world helps us appreciate how similar we are despite the vast array of diverse cultures.  The hope is that by sharing how travel has helped me grow and the steps I take to prepare for out-of-the-way places like Reunion might influence you to consider getting out and exploring this big blue ball as well.

Obviously diabetes is another theme.  You won’t find this to be a doctoral thesis, but if you are tagging along I’d like to make you aware of the basics.  You can probably skip over those pieces if you are diabetic, but in that case you are the audience I most want to reach out to.  Even though this won’t be an “official” theme, the main driver of this blog is to inspire you to not let diabetes limit aspirations.  With or without diabetes, you can realize experiences most of the population doesn’t: including physical accomplishments only a sliver of the population achieves, and; travel to remote destinations where few dare to venture.

If you look around there are plenty examples of miserable people and they seem to have arrived in that state without any chronic illness.  Diabetes mandates that you pay attention to life and I am convinced it has heightened my appreciation of this gift, leading to insights I would never have recognized.  So please join my journey with hopes that we both reach new insights and destinations.

No comments:

Post a Comment