Welcome

You should probably read the very first entry to grasp the point of this blog.

In a nutshell, I am an aging diabetic striving to accomplish one last grand physical endeavor before time limits my options.
My drive towards the ultra-marathon was tied to raising funds for Juvenile Diabetes Research, but it has been closed. I still encourage you to visit the JDRF web site and make a pledge --> http://www.jdrf.org/

Thursday, December 30, 2010

On the Road Again

August 6th, 2010:  My heart monitor is proving to be an admirable educator.  I will certainly use it when running the half marathon because it allows you to maintain a steady pace.  Unfortunately, attempts to equate my pulse with miles per minute hasn’t worked out.  During my first forty minute run this week I paced out for a 148 heart rate.  The 7:55 pace I achieved earlier resulted from a pulse of 150, so I was disappointed in registering a 9:30 pace!

August 13th, 2010:  Heat was the element I didn’t factor in.  I usually disembark for my runs around 5PM and it can still be quite toasty here in North Carolina.  The 9:30 pace was on accomplished on a torrid afternoon, but the next run was on a cloudy day and a few degrees cooler.  This time I maintained a 150 pulse and ran at a 8:30 pace.  It was kind of funky how I realized I was running faster than last time, despite the similar heart rate.  Most telling was how I was consciously slowing down last time to keep my pulse on target – in cooler weather I could maintain a consistent pace without escalating my heart rate, the lesson being that heat carries a cumulative burden.

August 15th, 2010:  The training program mandates three runs each week with the longest falling on Sunday.  This past Sunday I did five miles at an 8:40 pace.  I am definitely running harder than I have in years (how the heck did I ever run 6:30 miles?) and enthused by the effort.  Tomorrow is six miles and I am psyched for the run.  Can I keep extending the mileage and maintain the pace?  That is the current goal and I really haven’t challenged myself like for this in eons.  I begin to set my sights on completing the half marathon in less than two hours and that goal rests on whether or not I can persist as the runs stretch out.

Really am pleased with reading about how to train for the event because I would have completed the run at a much slower pace under my original regimen.  The slight regret is that I would be running across Snow’s Cut Bridge by now under the original game plan (but VERY slowly, lol).

Shortly after this encouraging session, karma weighed in.  Years ago I worked for a travel club and yesterday the owner left a cryptic phone message wondering if I was “planning any exotic adventures”?  Called back today and was tickled to learn they had just partnered with a ‘travel’ medical insurance provider.  Mike knew my penchant for rigorous adventures and was looking to kick the tires on the travel insurance service.  Boy did I have a story for him!  The result was that they secured a year’s membership for me with their new partner.  Although the coverage expires before Le Grand Raid, I am not one to defy serendipity – will just need to schedule a rigorous hike somewhere and see whether the service is seeking a testimonial that might further my fundraising efforts.

No comments:

Post a Comment