Welcome

You should probably read the very first entry to grasp the point of this blog.

In a nutshell, I am an aging diabetic striving to accomplish one last grand physical endeavor before time limits my options.
My drive towards the ultra-marathon was tied to raising funds for Juvenile Diabetes Research, but it has been closed. I still encourage you to visit the JDRF web site and make a pledge --> http://www.jdrf.org/

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Watching and Weighting

Uncertain whether the weight vest will enable me to scale hills easier, but dead certain it makes runs more strenuous!  I only logged four miles Sunday morning in full weighted regalia --- I did remove two pounds from the vest (primarily to make sure I knew how, but it was real basic), but adding in the hand weights had me taking off with an additional 24 pounds.

The weight exerted its presence from the very beginning, but it wasn’t like you were gasping or felt as if you were dragging an anchor along…though it took a toll.  It was a hot day and I took off at 11AM, so no doubt that added to the burden, but still a serious workout.  The good news is that I wasn’t stiff yesterday morning (as I expected) and changing up the routine has re-energized me.

Kim tells me I look like a Transformer robot with the vest and hand weights on, so I am likely adding some “local flavor” to the neighborhood as well!  I’ll see if I can get a picture next weekend and embarrass myself far and wide.  But for this week, I will continue experimenting and try to map out the final training schedule shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment