Welcome

You should probably read the very first entry to grasp the point of this blog.

In a nutshell, I am an aging diabetic striving to accomplish one last grand physical endeavor before time limits my options.
My drive towards the ultra-marathon was tied to raising funds for Juvenile Diabetes Research, but it has been closed. I still encourage you to visit the JDRF web site and make a pledge --> http://www.jdrf.org/

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Full Load

Just a quick update on running and Reunion.  On the running front, circumstance torpedoed Sunday’s plan, though no big deal as I am inclined to focus on staying rested as opposed to satisfying the weekly mileage prescription right now.  My daughter had a baby-sitting appointment and got picked up late, so I didn’t start until 11:30AM and since it reached 110 with the heat index this was clearly not the ideal starting time.  I slugged out 6.5 miles (8 were scheduled) but it was just too hot.

I figure the intensity of this run probably equated it with eight miles from a heart rate perspective, which brings to mind an interesting point in the evolution of my running program.  Way back last summer I purchased a heart rate monitor and began using that as a tool.  Though initially excited about its potential to help with training, experience suggested limited application (this could be due to my ignorance about how to best utilize it).  Believe I discontinued using the monitor after the half marathon and haven’t looked back…curious how I’ve moved on and forgotten all about this.

Sunday’s run was without any weights due to the heat, but since Tuesdays are the short program (always four miles) and I took off at 6AM, the full load got heaped on my body this morning.  Let me tell you, running with an extra 26 pounds gets noticed, but I ran a strong pace and even aimed at a few hills for 4.5 miles.  I was little beyond a puddle of panting sweat at the end, but enthused that I registered the biggest pound-miles trot thus far at 117 (= 26 pounds * 4.5 miles).

But all the blab here seems to be around running when I am beginning to get excited about Reunion!  The uplifting news is that my brother-in-law Jeff (my hiking companion from Kalalau) is officially on board and will rendezvous with me in Paris – we are on the same flight to Reunion after that.  He will have to leave a few days before me, but I am relieved having somebody nearby when I run the ultra-marathon.

Jeff seems to have been smitten by Reunion like me and it is a blessing that he is diving in and doing most of the grunt work to assemble an itinerary.  I am grateful Jeff is coming along because my bandwidth to cobble together arrangements is compromised by this crazy running schedule.  Jeff has already made reservations for us at Le Gite du Volcan, or “the Volcano Cottage” and we will head straight for the volcano after arriving to hike it first thing the next morning!  Looks like we will be completing a lot of hikes prior to the race, so no doubt I’ll be well rested for the ultra…   J

But Jeff is also poring over my running route in search of the few aid stations he might be able to reach with our rental car to check on how I'm faring (and whether I need to punt!).  The ultra path twists through a mountainous section of the island known as the Cirques.  One of the cirques is Mafate and Jeff passed along a beautiful mountain biking video shot along these trails à Mafate by Bike

I will likely be running some of these trails you see in the clip --- please enjoy and hopefully you may begin to understand why I fell in love with this destination...


No comments:

Post a Comment