Welcome

You should probably read the very first entry to grasp the point of this blog.

In a nutshell, I am an aging diabetic striving to accomplish one last grand physical endeavor before time limits my options.
My drive towards the ultra-marathon was tied to raising funds for Juvenile Diabetes Research, but it has been closed. I still encourage you to visit the JDRF web site and make a pledge --> http://www.jdrf.org/

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Back-to-Back

December1st, 2010:  So I am beginning to realize that training for a full marathon requires many more miles than the half marathon.  Did I mention the primary difference between regimens for the full and the half are four days of running every other week rather than three days each week?  Of course the distances escalate as well, but at least I recall thinking the three days was a bit lacking.

Well, I can now exclaim with authority that running back-to-back days is stressful.  I’m sure it is due to running hard the day before, but the wheels don’t spin so fast when you are trudging along the day immediately after.  Seems the theory is that you want to stress your muscles to a limited extent and I was pleased with the results from the first training program so I’m enduring the pain.

I will share that I am clearly running much better than I have for the last fifteen years.  There is power in my strides that comes easy and I can sense a strong pace.  Except on day two of back-to-back sessions!  On those days I have to focus on foot falls and overcome stiffness + weariness.  It is not so easy on these days to turn in a quick pace, but I push myself to try and improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment