Welcome

You should probably read the very first entry to grasp the point of this blog.

In a nutshell, I am an aging diabetic striving to accomplish one last grand physical endeavor before time limits my options.
My drive towards the ultra-marathon was tied to raising funds for Juvenile Diabetes Research, but it has been closed. I still encourage you to visit the JDRF web site and make a pledge --> http://www.jdrf.org/

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Marathon Training

December 29th, 2010.   Time for a reality check.  Is it honestly feasible for a Type I diabetic to attempt something as ludicrous as Le Grand Raid?  I’ve been tossing out my travel journals to illustrate diabetics shouldn’t be limited in their travel aspirations and I am endeavoring to extend that notion to the physical realm, but sometimes I get cornered by the thought…are you crazy to think you can run this ultra-marathon?

Thus far I’ve been mindful and thankfully avoided any low episodes throughout my training (and I’ve slogged 460 miles thus far), but the runs are getting longer and I recognize I am at risk. It is hard to describe the confusion that grips when your blood sugar goes low, but I am comforted by how amazing it is that you can overcome this by being cognizant it is happening.  It is those times when you aren’t paying attention to where your head is when you are most vulnerable, and once you lapse into a serious low it is a potentially catastrophic situation.

Folks are concerned I run alone, but perhaps the oxymoron is that running solo might be the best thing.  The worst low episodes always seem to occur around others, because I am rapt by what else is going on.  By my lonesome I tend to focus inward and am better able to detect when blood sugar is tumbling.  My dilemma is especially critical when it is just me and my daughter.   I want to be a good parent and the pattern seems to be that paying attention to my daughter’s needs distracts me from gauging when I am slipping into hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).  This was the spur for starting up the monthly 3x5 card reminders…and I actually call them the “take care of yourself first cards”.

So far so good on the training, although I am keenly aware that it only takes a single screw up to wreak great havoc and perhaps I’m feeling trepidation around the twelve mile run scheduled for Sunday.  The tension is probably a good thing and will keep me on my toes…because the whole dilemma is being vigilant with checking in.  It’s gonna be over an hour and a half for Sunday’s run and that’s a long time to keep the vigil.

Hopefully writing the fear out in this blog will serve to keep me on guard.

No comments:

Post a Comment