Welcome

You should probably read the very first entry to grasp the point of this blog.

In a nutshell, I am an aging diabetic striving to accomplish one last grand physical endeavor before time limits my options.
My drive towards the ultra-marathon was tied to raising funds for Juvenile Diabetes Research, but it has been closed. I still encourage you to visit the JDRF web site and make a pledge --> http://www.jdrf.org/

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Thither and Far

November 21st, 2010:  Thus far I have completely satisfied the running components of my marathon training regimen (which also requires two days each week of an alternate activity…this component gets abandoned when I am travelling).  As a travel fan I am pleased to have towed my running gear about to train in four different states of the US thus far (North Carolina, Ohio, Maine and Pennsylvania).  I was back in Ohio last week and it is very easy to run here with the wonderful gym facility provided by my employer. 

I returned to my native state of Pennsylvania last weekend to visit mom for Thanksgiving and naturally had to get my scheduled six mile run in Sunday morning.  The alien terrain was reminiscent of the Maine trot, since everything in NC and OH is along familiar routes.  Ran back and forth two times between the Stardust Motel and Purdy’s Motel along Route 11-15, which was enjoyed.

Mom always makes a reservation for me at the Stardust when I visit (her abode is pretty tiny, so it is easier to slumber nearby), but this time my reservation got lost.  Fortunately they also own another establishment just down the pike and told me they could put me up one-and-a-half miles down the road.  Of course Le Grand Raid is always on my mind and my first thought was that this would make for a convenient two lap course for the Sunday run!

So that’s just what I did Sunday morning.  Even though this is a four-lane trucker’s route, the road shoulders are quite broad so you don’t have to worry about traffic and it is a beautiful spot, paralleling the Juniata River just before it empties into the Susquehanna.  The reason I adore hiking is the opportunity it provides to honestly take in the landscape, and even if running quickly whisks you by, bouncing back-and-forth along the same stretch four times affords enough repetition to absorb the scenery.

The beauty of the run reinforces the beauty of the challenge.  I would not have been idle, but the hour I plodded along new turf (actually 53 minutes, but who’s counting?) would probably have been spent reading a book and I can save that for later.  These physical experiences are cherished and I will gladly reserve reading time for future years.

No comments:

Post a Comment