Welcome

You should probably read the very first entry to grasp the point of this blog.

In a nutshell, I am an aging diabetic striving to accomplish one last grand physical endeavor before time limits my options.
My drive towards the ultra-marathon was tied to raising funds for Juvenile Diabetes Research, but it has been closed. I still encourage you to visit the JDRF web site and make a pledge --> http://www.jdrf.org/

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Board Game

Rather incredible how this morning’s sixteen mile run seemed a non-event.  I mean, after running twenty-four or twenty-six miles the last three Saturdays, chopping ten miles off made things a walk in the park.  It was certainly reassuring to cross Snow’s Cut this morning and realize I only had to make a quick tour of Carolina Beach State Park, rather than plodding on down to Fort Fisher.  The sun was shining brightly so the heat underscored the value of an abbreviated agenda.
As scaled back as it was, my two weeks of wind-down enter the free-fall zone now.  Now  only a pair of ten milers tomorrow and next Saturday remain as the longest segments before the main event on July 2nd.


One of the spin-off benefits of this crazy venture has been my wife’s involvement with JDRF.  When I initially met with them they mentioned needs around public communications and I hooked them up with Kim, who is wonderfully adept in this arena.  After working with them for several months her talent led to being made a member of the local JDRF Board!

Thursday evening we attended a fund raiser where the new board members were introduced and it was quite an eye opener.  I was surprised how many other Type I diabetics there are out there (although we still make up less than 10% of all diabetics) and it was a rare opportunity to interface with folks sharing my affliction.  When I attended the lecture during World Diabetes Day back in November I first learned about “continuous glucose monitoring” devices, though the consensus seemed to be that they were expensive (i.e., didn’t often qualify for coverage under health insurance plans) and not terribly accurate.

Kim has shared that folks with JDRF have been talking these devices up and another Type I at the event, Jim, gave a pretty solid review…so I will be exploring this option once I get past the Finger Lakes Fifty (have a regular check-up with my doctor the week after and Jim advised that free week-long trials are often available).  Another significant advance in the management of diabetes, fueled by your generosity à if you haven’t made your contribution to my drive yet all the info is in the header of this blog!


Off to Dayton next week for work so limited internet access means no postings for a bit, but I’ll return soon and hope to heck I’m not too unnerved by how soon the fifty mile run is…

No comments:

Post a Comment