Welcome

You should probably read the very first entry to grasp the point of this blog.

In a nutshell, I am an aging diabetic striving to accomplish one last grand physical endeavor before time limits my options.
My drive towards the ultra-marathon was tied to raising funds for Juvenile Diabetes Research, but it has been closed. I still encourage you to visit the JDRF web site and make a pledge --> http://www.jdrf.org/

Sunday, June 26, 2011

To Run or Not To Run?

Completed the ten mile run on Saturday in good time, especially considering how hot it was, but I backed off several times when I felt my hamstring complaining…and it really tightened up afterwards.  So for the first time throughout training for the fifty mile ultra-marathon I sat out today’s run (six miles).

Even though I worry over my ability to actually make it fifty miles in one shot, I remain confident the effort won’t be compromised by this injury.  I am aware of the hamstring when running, but it only becomes an issue when I try to accelerate and the few times I thought I’d have to punt at the start, it always loosens up and the run goes okay.  Perhaps I’m crazy to think this won’t screw things up for such an extreme test of endurance, but for the moment we are all systems go.

Clouds are perhaps gathering on the horizon.  This injury is certainly not a good sign and I couldn’t even walk easily today.  Add to that the boom to bust guest list à Paul registered for the run but had to cancel out because of his knee; my old college buddy Jim who lives nearby is helping his son move to NYC next weekend, so that rendezvous is shot, and; John and Jody also had to deep six plans to be in the Finger Lakes over the Fourth.  But Marga from Texas might still make it up, so fingers crossed I won’t be a lone ranger.

Also scoped out some possible hikes for Friday as there are many beautiful waterfalls in the Finger Lakes and I’ve never had the opportunity to check them out.  Still hope to get the last three tune-up runs in (four miles Monday, three Tuesday and two on Wednesday) and may schedule a massage for Wednesday evening to soothe the hamstring as much as possible.  This will all be over in a week, fingers crossed for a happy ending!

No comments:

Post a Comment