Welcome

You should probably read the very first entry to grasp the point of this blog.

In a nutshell, I am an aging diabetic striving to accomplish one last grand physical endeavor before time limits my options.
My drive towards the ultra-marathon was tied to raising funds for Juvenile Diabetes Research, but it has been closed. I still encourage you to visit the JDRF web site and make a pledge --> http://www.jdrf.org/

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Final Push

It’s been slow and steady for the runs during the final sixty-mile week before the big event.  Appreciating that I’m allowed to feel tired has helped considerably, but many miles remain to endure this week of the final push.  Wednesday was the last twelve mile run and I got out of the blocks around 5:40AM to tackle it.  Despite setting a lethargic pace I somehow managed to pull a hamstring around the third mile.  Nowhere near as bad as when I popped that sucker during the half marathon training, but still painful.
I’ve been sticking to the erect posture with short strides throughout the ultra training program, and whether or not it is preserving my knees I can tell you it allows you to forge ahead with a pulled hamstring.  It was apparent I wasn’t aggravating the injury so I trudged on and completed the twelve miles without further ado.  Of course the muscle tightened up afterwards, making me question the eight miles on Thursday.

After the first few strides this morning (again a 5:40AM lift-off) I was ready to call it…the hamstring was stiff as an iron rod and howled in pain.  So I decided to run a short program but quickly realized it was loosening up quite nicely and proceeded to get the full run in.  So I’m 25 miles into the final 60 and optimistic I can survive the last marathon Saturday morning even with this hamstring.

On the companionship front, however, things are not so encouraging.  My buddy Paul had signed up to run the 50K program at the Finger Lakes event, leaving options open to stick it out and perhaps do the full fifty miles with me.  Unfortunately he has been plagued with knee problems and now it looks like he will have to punt on the whole race.  I recommended reading “Born to Run” and shared the author’s concerns that modern footwear is the driver of knee injuries, as well as running style.  Between Paul’s knees and my hamstring I am definitely clinging to the new style I’ve adopted!

I remain a bit intimidated by the upcoming fifty miler, especially now that I’ll be tackling it solo.  At least I have the confidence from how the previous two training programs ultimately had me prepared and look forward to returning vigor with the wind-down over the next several weeks.  Of course there remains that last marathon Saturday before I can start to ease off…

No comments:

Post a Comment