Welcome

You should probably read the very first entry to grasp the point of this blog.

In a nutshell, I am an aging diabetic striving to accomplish one last grand physical endeavor before time limits my options.
My drive towards the ultra-marathon was tied to raising funds for Juvenile Diabetes Research, but it has been closed. I still encourage you to visit the JDRF web site and make a pledge --> http://www.jdrf.org/

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Winding Down to Get Pumped Up

So this is the true off week in this running adventure.  Only 32 miles scheduled, comparing favorably to the last ten weeks à over that time period I’ve logged a total of 530 miles or an average of 53 miles per week, with forty miles being the lowest one of the ten.
I’ve slogged 18.3 miles thus far (sixteen scheduled), with three runs back in Dayton this week.  The weather was rainy but I managed to dodge getting wet, and to be honest the cloud cover made it quite pleasant.  Still have to do ten miles yet today, complicated only because my flight home got delayed and I wound up getting stuck in Charlotte last night.  Versus the original plan of dispatching the ten miles first thing this AM, I find myself in the groggy state induced by airplane misery and not psyched to head out.

Of course ten miles seems like a no-brainer now, so I plan on hitting the road around 4:30PM to complete the run in time to go out to dinner with my wife and daughter.  Temps will probably be near ninety when I start, so a snail’s pace is guaranteed for the final double-digit length before next Saturday’s hurdle.

The Finger Lakes Fifty looms near on the horizon, killing my ability to savor the reduced mileage this week.  I go back and forth between absolute dread and the comfort of experiencing similar feelings before the half and full marathons.  I think the strategy will be to not dwell on the race and rely on time slipping by until game day arrives.

I did manage to trace a puppy dog during Tuesday’s run, which I will include below.  Especially fond of the ears and tail, but disappointed with that little spike on his back --- having to avoid being run down by a pick-up truck necessitated a slight off-road experience during this run…a case of graphic violence???

“Puppy Dog” --- Toe Painting, by Vance


No comments:

Post a Comment