Welcome

You should probably read the very first entry to grasp the point of this blog.

In a nutshell, I am an aging diabetic striving to accomplish one last grand physical endeavor before time limits my options.
My drive towards the ultra-marathon was tied to raising funds for Juvenile Diabetes Research, but it has been closed. I still encourage you to visit the JDRF web site and make a pledge --> http://www.jdrf.org/

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Into the Arms of AARP

February 1st, 2011.   Happy birthday to me.  I am officially an old man today.

There is no regret and I owe a big thanks to my wife and daughter for this feeling.  They make every day a treasure and today was no exception.  Perhaps the funniest part of the day was the continuing serendipity of coincidences between my training program and life.  The longest training run in the half marathon was a ten miler which happened to fall on 10/10/10…so what do you think the requirement was for today on my fiftieth birthday?  Running for fifty minutes, of course!  J

Completed the fifty minute course over lunch at an 8:20 pace and felt pretty good for an old fart.  Unfortunately few people were out and about so I didn’t spot any youngsters whom I could accost as “young whipper snappers”.

Of course what always marks my birthday as a special occasion is that this is the only dessert I get each year.  I never even ‘sample’ desserts, so the meal’s finish on my birthday is a landmark event.  Kim and Spencer took me to Port Land Grille, a very nice restaurant here in Wilmington, and we enjoyed a fantastic dinner by ourselves in one of their large dining rooms on a rainy Tuesday evening.

Just before dessert was brought out another party was seated right beside us, which made the evening memorable.  The party of four included Michael Caine and his wife Shakira!  Wilmington has a major movie studio and apparently Michael was around for a film shoot…but another grand coincidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment