Welcome

You should probably read the very first entry to grasp the point of this blog.

In a nutshell, I am an aging diabetic striving to accomplish one last grand physical endeavor before time limits my options.
My drive towards the ultra-marathon was tied to raising funds for Juvenile Diabetes Research, but it has been closed. I still encourage you to visit the JDRF web site and make a pledge --> http://www.jdrf.org/

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The “L-O-N-G” week prelude

February 11th, 2011.   I am still running my face off but feel as though I am improving, so it is all good.  Unfortunately this is a L-O-N-G week with the new frontier of an eighteen miler on Sunday.  I truly hope this regimen prepares me, because the training program seems so unfair.

Only had to run twenty miles all of last week, but I have already logged eighteen miles this week and Sunday I’m schedule for an eighteen mile run in one shot!  I’m pretty sure the long run is the worst, but today’s back-to-back was similar to the previous episode.

Two weeks ago I completed the Thursday routine at a 7:45 pace, only to be humbled by completing Friday’s run at an 8:20.  This week I tackled things with the lessons learned.  I continue to run hard…I suspect harder than implied by my training bible but not so hard as to predispose me to injury.  Once again the strides came easy and even though I was working hard it was joyous to complete Thursday’s run at a 7:45 pace.

So today I attempted to stay focused on a brisk pace and despite feeling the usual lethargy when running consecutive days, it felt as though I was pacing similar to yesterday.  NOT. Paced out slightly worse than two weeks ago at 8:25.  A bit frustrating because most of the time I felt as though my strides were rapidly covering ground.  Guess the hypothesis that “rest days are critical” may now be elevated to an official theory.

No comments:

Post a Comment