Welcome

You should probably read the very first entry to grasp the point of this blog.

In a nutshell, I am an aging diabetic striving to accomplish one last grand physical endeavor before time limits my options.
My drive towards the ultra-marathon was tied to raising funds for Juvenile Diabetes Research, but it has been closed. I still encourage you to visit the JDRF web site and make a pledge --> http://www.jdrf.org/

Monday, March 21, 2011

Nice to be Young…

February 3rd, 2011.   This has been a rest week in the training program, but Thursdays always include the dreaded sprints and today was the most demanding ‘Tempo’ run à a single accelerated segment for twenty minutes.  I tackled this with gusto and plotted a course that would deposit me at a circular road (one mile) in a nearby development where I could complete three laps without having to worry much about vehicular traffic.

I never would have known the breakout for the accelerated portion without my Garmin Sports Watch, but confess a wee bit of disappointment that the download of the run indicated my quick pace was 7:35 miles.  On the one hand I didn’t go all out because the pace is supposed to be “just out of your comfort zone” but on the other hand I would have appreciated being able to approach the pace of days of old…

However, I was blessed with another gem from this whole adventure.  On my second lap I passed an older gentleman out walking in the opposite direction.  I cross paths with folks along this stretch quite frequently, but by running revolutions along this road I encountered the guy a second time.  I had obviously covered a much greater portion of the loop with my stretch pace and as I passed him again he smiled and uttered “must be nice to be young”…

Wanted to stop and tell him I just breached fifty but had to maintain the pace!  Still made for a wonderful birthday present.

No comments:

Post a Comment