Welcome

You should probably read the very first entry to grasp the point of this blog.

In a nutshell, I am an aging diabetic striving to accomplish one last grand physical endeavor before time limits my options.
My drive towards the ultra-marathon was tied to raising funds for Juvenile Diabetes Research, but it has been closed. I still encourage you to visit the JDRF web site and make a pledge --> http://www.jdrf.org/

Monday, March 7, 2011

Keeping me in Stitches…

January 17th, 2011.   Well, I completed the fourteen mile training run yesterday, but it was brutal.  I went on the usual route towards Carolina Beach and once again reveled in the span over Snow’s Cut…until I returned to terra firma.  I had only crossed the bridge once before, on my twelve mile training run, and recalled the surprise when I had to leap off of the walkway back onto the road.  The pedestrian path along for Snow’s Cut is raised nearly a foot above the roadway and when you are plodding quickly downhill it can be a bit rude.

Last time I noted there was a dirt slope to the side that didn’t require a jarring thud back to the road and hooked quickly right when I reached the end of the bridge.  Unfortunately, the concrete was pushed up several inches at this junction (I suppose it arose from the bridge expanding in hot weather, but it was barely above freezing this morning and you would think it would have settled back down?), creating a two inch ridge that was difficult to detect when you are approaching full tilt.  Naturally I clipped a toe on the bulge and immediately knew I was going down.

Made a valiant effort to remain upright and danced a few steps, but there was no denying the downfall.  Believe I fell quite gracefully to minimize damage, but of course instinct couldn’t accommodate wearing my water belt.  Struck earth squarely on the water bottle tucked into my belt on my right side and man did it hurt.  Bounced back up and glad to report that my first thought was to call Kim and request a pick-up, but the dang competitive spirit broke in and compelled me to keep going (after I recognized I wasn’t critically injured).

Ran another twenty yards and it was painful breathing, so I stopped again.  Assessed the situation and decided that I could press on so long as I didn’t run hard and compel hard breathing.  Sheesh – the thought in my head at this point was how I had already installed eighteen stitches in my noggin’ from this challenge and here was a respectable side stitch to boot!

But I am glad I pushed on.  The tumble occurred only five miles into the jaunt and it was at a decidedly measured pace that things progressed.  A mile later I approached Carolina Beach State Park and there were two people standing at the entrance.  When they espied me, the guy started jumping up and down and pointing…making me think, “now what?”

Nearer to the entrance I spotted a sign announcing a race.  Now this was funny, my training path overlapped some scheduled 5K event.  I shouted to the jumping jack dude that I was just out for a run and not a race participant.  But it was especially touching because the sign urged participants to drive to the marina within the park and that was the turnaround for my run.  Side stitch be damned, it was awesome to encounter a bunch of other folks dressed for running and plodding along the park’s roadways.  Being hopelessly human, I really wanted to shout “HEY, I’m running fourteen stinking miles in preparation for an ultra-marathon”…but of course I merely waved and smiled at everyone I passed.

Made it back home in a truly miserable time, but no regrets.  Typing this entry in Dayton after a long day of catching plane flights and toting luggage, both aggravating my latest running injury (it might be a bruised rib, but I think it is just aggravated tissue in my abdomen).  I am in much pain at the moment and can only reflect that I was crazy enough to run another nine miles after sustaining the injury.  Please know I doubt it is anything critical…for I would surely have sought medical assistance!

Alas, it wasn’t really another nine miles.  My Garmin Sports Watch reveals the true distance now and I was frustrated to learn I had only covered 13.73 miles…a quarter mile short of what I was supposed to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment