Welcome

You should probably read the very first entry to grasp the point of this blog.

In a nutshell, I am an aging diabetic striving to accomplish one last grand physical endeavor before time limits my options.
My drive towards the ultra-marathon was tied to raising funds for Juvenile Diabetes Research, but it has been closed. I still encourage you to visit the JDRF web site and make a pledge --> http://www.jdrf.org/

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Caught Red Handed!

I’ve continued physical therapy to rehabilitate my wrist over the past two months with good results.  But still, it is dawning on me that it will never recover 100%...

As depressing as that sentiment might be, the good news is that there is no impact of the injury upon my running program…or so I thought.  The other day I sat down to start the exercises I need to perform every few hours to keep the healing wrist limber when I suddenly felt sick to my stomach.  My entire thumb was a ghastly shade of red, in stark contrast to the creamy white of the rest of my hand.  Had the injury cut off circulation to my thumb?

Then I scanned my fingers to acknowledge they were a ruddier complexion too!  What the heck, call the doctor?!?!?!?!?

Fortunately it only took a moment to connect the dots and decipher what had caused the funky shadings on my hand.  I still wear a wrist brace when I go out running and I’ve been pounding the pavement outdoors so much that I’ve developed a “farmer’s tan” on my hand!  The brace conceals my palm (and roughly the same area on the back side of my hand), sheltering everything except digits from sunlight.  An amusing solution to the mystery of being caught red handed…

Farmer’s Tan Hand - note the curiously red thumb and fingers…

No comments:

Post a Comment