Welcome

You should probably read the very first entry to grasp the point of this blog.

In a nutshell, I am an aging diabetic striving to accomplish one last grand physical endeavor before time limits my options.
My drive towards the ultra-marathon was tied to raising funds for Juvenile Diabetes Research, but it has been closed. I still encourage you to visit the JDRF web site and make a pledge --> http://www.jdrf.org/

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Hydrated

Recognizing the pitfall with last Saturday’s long run was inadequate water supply, I endeavored to work the kinks out of the hydro-pack before this week’s mini-marathon.  I figured the test run should be a short session in the event of unforeseen difficulties, so the hydro pack made its debut during a four mile jaunt last Tuesday.

The hydro-pack functioned effectively and is WAY more convenient for drinking while on the move.  The suction straw hangs harmlessly (and not in the way) and can be quickly fetched --- much easier than plucking a water bottle from the belt and prying the nozzle open with my teeth…not to mention having to repeat this operation in reverse afterwards. 

The only drawback is the lack of a chest strap to keep the shoulder straps centered, so they kept slipping off my shoulders.  Despite identifying this deficit during the test cruise, I failed to implement any correction and was confronted with the dilemma again at the beginning Saturday’s twenty-two miler.  I was off and running at 6:30AM and it was cool and foggy, quite delightful running weather, and after several failures I wound up just tying the straps to each other across my chest and voila (notice the French???  J) à the issue was successfully resolved and everything was flawless thereafter.

It was a very good run.  Even though I am not focused on time, I paced twenty seconds faster than the previous week…an improvement I attribute totally to better hydration.  Managed the quicker pace despite a few obstacles --- seemed like every neighborhood was holding a community yard sale this Saturday morning and I encountered traffic galore the first five miles…despite the early lift-off.  Fortunately the course eludes neighborhoods after a bit and traffic had effectively dissipated when I returned on the rebound back home later that morning.

The pathway was consistent with last week, though this time I stretched things slightly to circle the stone posts marking the entrance to Fort Fisher, the last village at the southern end of Pleasure Island.  Total mileage was 22.9 with the extra push to the fort, and I might try to make it to the very end of the island next trip!

Downside for the accelerated pace was this morning’s ten miler.  Last week I felt great and knocked off the run without ado, but after pushing it yesterday the muscles were stiff and I had to work hard to conquer the circuit.  At least I had a massage scheduled for this afternoon, so the legs feel much more relaxed and tomorrow is a rest day...

No comments:

Post a Comment