Welcome

You should probably read the very first entry to grasp the point of this blog.

In a nutshell, I am an aging diabetic striving to accomplish one last grand physical endeavor before time limits my options.
My drive towards the ultra-marathon was tied to raising funds for Juvenile Diabetes Research, but it has been closed. I still encourage you to visit the JDRF web site and make a pledge --> http://www.jdrf.org/

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Next Steps

So I’m well into the new regimen that will hopefully get me prepared for the fifty miler in July.  Each successive target in this journey generates serious qualms.  I’ve acquired a comfort level as each barrier gets conquered, but this one seems overwhelming.  I was definitely tired after plodding twenty-two miles last Saturday and of course that wasn’t even half way.

Not only is the distance tremendous, but unlike the previous two runs, I had to trim several weeks off of the training program.  Although I was initially thinking it wouldn’t be so bad since I had just completed the marathon training, this routine has miles galore in it and I fear not building a proper base.

On the plus side is how good I felt running ten miles immediately after the twenty-two.  Strangely, even a ten mile route is becoming just a ‘jaunt’, lol, and that’s a definite positive.  I’ve been extending my runs beyond the training requirement (well, all except for the twenty + milers) by roughly 10% in an attempt to get a little extra leg work in without dipping into the realm of overtraining.

Part of the comfort level I am acquiring for the longer runs involves enhanced maintenance on the food and water front.  Before I wouldn’t bother packing along a water bottle unless going out for at least ten miles and would only eat after it was fairly evident  my blood sugar was low.  Now I always run with my water belt stocked and start sipping by mile two.  Around mile five into any run I will enjoy a Hammer Gel and a half hour later consume a Clif Bar.  After this the maintenance gets back to play-by-ear, but by this point (typically over ten miles into the run) the tension has evaporated and it’s all business in conquering the current distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment