Welcome

You should probably read the very first entry to grasp the point of this blog.

In a nutshell, I am an aging diabetic striving to accomplish one last grand physical endeavor before time limits my options.
My drive towards the ultra-marathon was tied to raising funds for Juvenile Diabetes Research, but it has been closed. I still encourage you to visit the JDRF web site and make a pledge --> http://www.jdrf.org/

Monday, September 5, 2011

Clever Devices

The bad news is that I scratched the Sunday run as my left calf remains knotted up (though the swelling is way down).  The really good news is that I am extremely encouraged by the Continuous Glucose Monitor despite not using for even a day yet!


It is a bit awkward the first time –-- you actually inject the sensor into your abdomen --- but I suspect this will rapidly become part of the routine since you need to replace the sensor once per week.  After that inconvenience, however, it is truly an eye opener to witness your blood sugar levels in real time.  Don’t think I recognized how draining it is to constantly dwell over whether the way I’m feeling is due to sinking blood sugar, but what a relief to simply gaze at the receiver and see where I’m at.  Definitely a new day!


Many lessons are sure to follow as I gain experience with this remarkable device, but I am most excited to deploy this baby for the upcoming long runs…if my calf heals sufficiently to permit…

My CGM – the sensor is that thing taped onto my abdomen and I’m holding the receiver (what displays real time blood sugar readings!)

No comments:

Post a Comment