Welcome

You should probably read the very first entry to grasp the point of this blog.

In a nutshell, I am an aging diabetic striving to accomplish one last grand physical endeavor before time limits my options.
My drive towards the ultra-marathon was tied to raising funds for Juvenile Diabetes Research, but it has been closed. I still encourage you to visit the JDRF web site and make a pledge --> http://www.jdrf.org/

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Packing Up

Even if this leg refuses to heal I remain bound for Reunion, and the departure draws near --- I’ll be there in three weeks!  It’s time to get packing and though I’ve done my best to dodge electric concerns when traveling (for example, I purchased three camera batteries and just charge ‘em all up before I go), bringing the Continuous Glucose Monitor along requires a means of recharging.  So I had to pick up a convertor/adapter among other things.


There is an “Equipment List” that you are required to pack along for running the ultra, including a medical kit, flashlight and blanket.  I already mentioned thoughts around a spare headlamp and my lovely wife resolved that dilemma by suggesting I get another and give it to her for Christmas afterwards.  So I get to assuage concerns around running at night and “lighten” my Christmas list at the same time…    J


Went to the LL Bean web site over the weekend and picked up a small medical kit and compact camping blanket, so cross those off the list.  But what about a better day pack to tote all this stuff?  The one I have is fine for hiking, but it doesn’t snug up too well for running.  Seeking a solution here has proven a bit more arduous – can’t seem to pin down anything created specifically for extended running.  Any suggestions?


On a more positive note, I half-heartedly pursued enabling myself with a cell phone that works internationally…assuming it would wind up being cost prohibitive.  Stopped in at the Verizon store to learn my droid couldn’t be upgraded for use outside the US and was given a phone number to contact their “experts” in this milieu.  This turned out quite well.


Verizon will ship me a phone to use for thirty days that I only have to pay $20 for (which is just to have it shipped back and forth à they will send it to me with a return FedEx label and I can call to have it picked up once I return home!).  I will receive the temporary device immediately before departure and just need to deactivate my droid / activate the temporary unit and I will be armed and dangerous with the same phone number.  For Reunion I will need to pay $2.29 per minute for connect time (didn’t opt for any internet capability), but for emergencies having this available with hardly any sunk cost is pretty decent!

No comments:

Post a Comment