Welcome

You should probably read the very first entry to grasp the point of this blog.

In a nutshell, I am an aging diabetic striving to accomplish one last grand physical endeavor before time limits my options.
My drive towards the ultra-marathon was tied to raising funds for Juvenile Diabetes Research, but it has been closed. I still encourage you to visit the JDRF web site and make a pledge --> http://www.jdrf.org/

Thursday, September 29, 2011

It’s Swell not feeling swell…

Glad to report that I followed up the Tuesday trot with nine mile runs yesterday and today..and the calf hasn’t ballooned à no swelling is swell!  This is certainly encouraging because the challenge is so close that I would be crushed if I was still reduced to limping through short routines.


I’m still bummed that I’ve been forced to punt on a lot of training miles in the home stretch, but remain hopeful the sixteen mile run scheduled for Saturday might be accomplished without inflicting more pain and swelling.  If I can get past this (and ten miles on Sunday) with no aggravation of the injury I might be able to start getting my game face on.  What have I gotten myself into?  This is going to be a monstrous challenge and I need to begin gathering up confidence and convince myself that I can rise above...


Since time is running out, I need to implement a last minute drill for raising contributions.  I’ve regretted not having the bandwidth to focus on this aspect, but it has been frustrating.  Seems every attempt I’ve initiated has met with no response or a negative response, and frankly I have not received much assistance in this effort.  Guess the lesson learned is that there are many good causes and resources are limited.


I am a terrible fund raiser, because it seems you have to be a real pest to rake in proceeds and I just can’t bring myself to be a pain in the butt.  That said, I will finish up a last minute plea and e-mail it to friends this evening --- and keep my fingers crossed that it finds some traction.  To those of you who have made a contribution, I cannot stress enough how much these have meant to me, and during the hours I’ve tackled the twenty+ mile runs I often recall each of you and picture you in my mind…and it makes me smile no matter how weary I am.  Thank you again because I would not have made it this far without the boost your generosity and thoughtfulness has provided (and continues to provide!).  Thank you, thank you, thank you

No comments:

Post a Comment