Welcome

You should probably read the very first entry to grasp the point of this blog.

In a nutshell, I am an aging diabetic striving to accomplish one last grand physical endeavor before time limits my options.
My drive towards the ultra-marathon was tied to raising funds for Juvenile Diabetes Research, but it has been closed. I still encourage you to visit the JDRF web site and make a pledge --> http://www.jdrf.org/

Saturday, August 20, 2011

And the Winner is…

In Dayton for work this week so another gap in posting, but a good week for road work.  The Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday tours were seven, ten and nine miles, respectively, all toting ten pounds of hand weights (thanks to the loaner from Dave – I keep them in my desk at the office).  Better yet, I paced them all at sub-nine minutes and averaged a whopping 35 feet of elevation gain per mile.  An embarrassment compared to Reunion, but double what I usually achieve here at home.


The return home was problematic.  My second flight was seriously delayed and I didn’t get back home until just before 1AM.  Woke up around 7AM and despite feeling groggy, I strapped on the full twenty-six pound load and headed out for a ten mile run.  Feels like I am starting to shake the ennui from the past few weeks because even without setting a blistering pace, I surprised myself by running the whole time and stretched it out to eleven miles.


This crushed the previous pound-miles record and set the bar at 286.  Not only can you feel it during the run, the stress of toting this extra weight around lingers well afterwards and I still feel the impact in my calves and quadriceps.  I really hope this enhances my hill-climbing capacity because the big run is only seven weeks away now.


My brother-in-law Jeff continues to be a research engine and sends occasional e-mails with fun updates.  The last one this week shared that I am the only American entered in the Bourbon Run (there are, however, three Americans signed up for Le Grand Raid).  This awesome news means that just by finishing I will be the top American, lol!  I can read the headlines now, bemoaning the sorry state of American athletics when a fifty-year old diabetic leads the country…


Hmmm, perhaps there won’t be too much coverage around this race in domestic media sources, but it is a hilarious thought nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment