Welcome

You should probably read the very first entry to grasp the point of this blog.

In a nutshell, I am an aging diabetic striving to accomplish one last grand physical endeavor before time limits my options.
My drive towards the ultra-marathon was tied to raising funds for Juvenile Diabetes Research, but it has been closed. I still encourage you to visit the JDRF web site and make a pledge --> http://www.jdrf.org/

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Rack ‘em Up

Many reasons to rack up bonus mileage during the mid-week sessions.  As previously noted, because it is only myself and my daughter for a bit I am reluctant to embark upon a really long training run.  Have an eighteen miler on the books for Saturday, but I still get tense that diabetic complications will surface during these challenges despite the clean record thus far (some diabetics suffer seizures or convulsions as a result of such intense effort).  So I’ve been out on the road bright and early the last three days and chalked up 26.5 miles versus 20 planned.

Whacking back the 18 mile run to 12 should greatly alleviate my anxiety, but Mother Nature is another factor potentially restricting how much running is permitted over the weekend à tropical storm Emily is threatening, and though she appears poised to strike little more than a glancing blow at the moment, you never know…

Escalating distances has not implied dismissing weight for these runs.  This morning I set another personal pound-miles record by strapping on twenty pounds for the 8.5 miles covered (total = 170).  Even attacked the few hills in the neighborhood, so believe me I will be ready for bed tonight!  Last week’s accumulated pound-mileage “weighed in” at 466 and I’ve already amassed 398 with two runs remaining to pile some more on.  I hope this delivers results because I’m investing a lot of energy into the project.

Forgot to mention that I completed and mailed in the paperwork to inquire about a Continuous Glucose Monitor.  A bit nervous because you basically relay your insurance coverage to Dexcom, the manufacturer of the device…implying some serious cost.  I’ll cross my fingers and hope for a speedy response as time is growing short before Reunion!

No comments:

Post a Comment