Welcome

You should probably read the very first entry to grasp the point of this blog.

In a nutshell, I am an aging diabetic striving to accomplish one last grand physical endeavor before time limits my options.
My drive towards the ultra-marathon was tied to raising funds for Juvenile Diabetes Research, but it has been closed. I still encourage you to visit the JDRF web site and make a pledge --> http://www.jdrf.org/

Monday, August 8, 2011

Beyond the Pavement

Starting with a brief recap around road concerns, but then onto “off road” stuff.  Latest road work yielded yet another new pound-miles record – upped the ante to 176 by suiting up with twenty pounds and sweating out 8.8 miles on a steamy Sunday morning.  That made the week’s tally fifty miles à phew!

On the travel front I swung over to the local AAA office at lunch to score an International Driver’s Permit.  My brother-in-law suggested this to help ensure we would be able to wheel about Reunion in our rental car.  I kid myself that I am an experienced traveler, but I had never heard of this before Jeff mentioned it.  Confess I am unconvinced of the IDP’s true value, but it is rather painless to secure one.  You just need to fill out a form and get a photograph taken, which my local AAA accommodated for the bargain price of $21 ($15 for the permit, $6 for the photographs which they snapped right there) and ten minutes of my time.

Unlike a passport, where you have to wait several weeks to get the goods, I walked out in possession of my brand new IDP.  The intent is to support your driver’s license (which you also need to carry along) with this document, which simply has some boiler plate language in a bunch of foreign tongues (including Arabic, Greek and Chinese) and basically states that you are allowed to drive in your own country.  I suppose the merit lies with the IDP’s expiration after one year – securing an IDP validates that you really have been granted permission to drive in your home country.

The other news is that I received a phone call from Dexcom today.  They received the form I sent in to inquire about a Continuous Glucose Monitor.  We talked for some time and the representative answered a lot of questions I had, mainly around the device’s perceived durability.  The conclusion was to move forward and although it will be expensive I am excited to try the latest technology for monitoring blood sugars.  Hopefully I will soon be able to share how effective the CGM is for keeping tabs on my blood sugars during long runs…potentially a HUGE improvement!

No comments:

Post a Comment