Welcome

You should probably read the very first entry to grasp the point of this blog.

In a nutshell, I am an aging diabetic striving to accomplish one last grand physical endeavor before time limits my options.
My drive towards the ultra-marathon was tied to raising funds for Juvenile Diabetes Research, but it has been closed. I still encourage you to visit the JDRF web site and make a pledge --> http://www.jdrf.org/

Monday, August 29, 2011

Good Night, Irene

Friday was a crazy hectic day of installing hurricane shutters, but there was a reward.  Even though we dodged the worst Irene had to offer, she still tossed some powerful gusts our way and we felt entirely safe in our fortress.  We had several overnight guests from farther up the coast who live on Topsail Island, where evacuation was recommended due to the probability of the bridge being closed.


So it was actually an enjoyed Friday evening, shared with good company.  We could hear Irene’s bluster but felt 100% safe with all the shutters in place.  Only had to venture outside to let the dogs do their business (our company had a dog as well) and it reinforced the value of those shutters, I kid you not --- the trees were bent over double and the cacophony was overwhelming.  Another benefit of the shutters is that it affords some sound insulation.


Wasn’t even sure I would be able to tackle the 22 miles planned for Saturday, but after lunch I launched.  Part of the motivation was an errant belief that traffic would be minor, but the roadways were quite busy.  Irene was a slow moving beast and her swirling winds turned the trot into a see-saw match, alternating between battling head winds that practically brought me to a standstill versus tail winds that had me effortlessly zooming along.  The cooler temps, cloudy skies and occasional splattering of rain however, were a welcome relief from the tropical heat I’ve had to endure recently and better yet, I don’t suit up with any extra weight for these marathon sessions.


Sunday was another busy day, with Kim and I tearing down all the hurricane shutters in the morning and then scrambling to prepare for some overnight guests that evening.  Mark, Samia and their daughter Maya are back in the States and we were excited for their arrival.  Finding time to squeeze a ten mile run was a problem, and I had to settle for six…starting at 3PM in blazing heat with the full twenty six pounds on.  It was a laborious run, but he week’s tally was 53 miles, 31 with the full twenty six pounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment