Welcome

You should probably read the very first entry to grasp the point of this blog.

In a nutshell, I am an aging diabetic striving to accomplish one last grand physical endeavor before time limits my options.
My drive towards the ultra-marathon was tied to raising funds for Juvenile Diabetes Research, but it has been closed. I still encourage you to visit the JDRF web site and make a pledge --> http://www.jdrf.org/

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Loaded

Concluded this week’s training with my first back-to-back run bearing the full twenty six pounds of weight.  Just to insure complete stress I kicked off around 10AM so the sun was already blazing and it was an exhausting trot.  From the start I could feel my legs hadn’t rebounded from yesterday’s challenge and I had to compel myself to outpace the lethargic feeling.


I run circles around the apartments next to our house because there’s a reasonable hill (one of the bigger ones around) and made three spins at the beginning of the run.  So I was drenched in sweat by the first of eight miles.  The extra weight alone would have done it in the heat, but throw in a few uphill scrambles with the extra weight and sweat city is guaranteed.


Steered towards other hills in the neighborhood and by mile six my exhaustion compelled breaking into a short walk.  No big deal, but it was the first time in a week.  The refreshing development during the walk was that I got caught in a downpour.  The clouds alone, blocking the sun, were welcome visitors and the cooling showers were not offensive in the least.


Of course the rain only lasted five short minutes, quickly replaced by the sun.  Things quickly steamed up (mostly my glasses), but I was in the home stretch and the finish line motivation had me stretching the legs out to complete the week’s mileage at 45 (this was my “rest” week).  Between the sun and weight (accumulated a total of 760 pound-miles this week) I was a whipped puppy and took a short nap this afternoon…which I hardly ever do.  And you know what?  I’m ready to hit the sack right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment