Welcome

You should probably read the very first entry to grasp the point of this blog.

In a nutshell, I am an aging diabetic striving to accomplish one last grand physical endeavor before time limits my options.
My drive towards the ultra-marathon was tied to raising funds for Juvenile Diabetes Research, but it has been closed. I still encourage you to visit the JDRF web site and make a pledge --> http://www.jdrf.org/

Saturday, August 6, 2011

Three-ring Circus?

Relieved to be back from the week’s longest jaunt and coherent, so no worries that I’ve been a bad parent!  Ventured 14.6 miles this morning with the hand weights (only six pounds) strapped on, so I am pleased to have this under my belt.  This raised the week’s pound-mileage figure to 486, the most so far and I still have another eight to ten miles tomorrow.  If only psychological, running with the weights on is helping my mind set for Reunion.

Thinking of Reunion has been embraced by Jeff, who is proving to be a travel planner extraordinaire and has already booked all lodging for when we will both be on the island.  He also plotted way points for my ultra-run and frankly it is a bit intimidating.  The launching pad will be from the idyllic village of Cilaos at about 4,000 above sea level.  We proceed from here to the very top of the island at Piton des Neiges, or “snow peak” at 8,150 feet above sea level.  This is where the ascent is 3,667 in 3.1 miles that I discussed back in The Hills Are Alive entry.


The good news/bad news is that this was one of the spectacular hikes I wanted to do, described as a difficult and challenging trek in my guide.  Although it will be very cool to reach the top of the island, integrating that into the ultra-marathon reinforces these events are much more than simple endurance.  As the Finger Lakes Fifties taught me, preparation needs to extend way beyond an ability to run far.


I guess the funny thing is how worried I was about which hikes I would be able to squeeze in during the limited stay, and it seems my ultra will cover them all!  The most alluring part of Reunion is its rugged interior, comprised of the three Cirques (oddly, this translates as “circus” but I have no idea why?): Cilaos, Mafate and Salazie.  The eroding cones of extinct shield volcanoes, the cirques encompass a sparsely populated and wildly beautiful area.  The few settlements here were originally populated by runaway slaves, marrons (or maroons) and are so remote that several are only accessible by foot or helicopter even today and many of the locals have never seen the ocean…despite living less than 10 km away (as the crow flies)!


The ultra spans all three cirques, so if it doesn’t kill me I should be able to get some terrific pictures!  But running along all these trails pitched as challenging hikes (some of the drop offs are spectacular, to say the least) gives one pause.  It’s a good thing you only turn fifty once…


Of course the attraction of foreign travel is quite exciting, especially because Kim has been sharing her Italian adventures via e-mail all week.  Even though I have miles to run before I climb on an airplane for Reunion, it is finally close enough to be invigorated.  I’ve already shared the link to the Volcano Cottage where Jeff and I will park our first night on the island, but here’s the web site for night #2 at the southern tip of Reunion, in Rougail Mangue.

I’ve not abdicated the travel planning completely to Jeff and already scored our rental wheels for the trip (which wasn’t easy, the ultra-marathon is apparently a big draw and things are disappearing fast – Jeff tried to get us a place to stay in Cilaos the night before the race began and everything was gone).  Started picking places for myself once Jeff departs, and I am excited to be spending two nights at Gandalf Safari Camp – click on 'Next Page' at the bottom to check out the cool rooms!  Bring 'er on...

No comments:

Post a Comment