Welcome

You should probably read the very first entry to grasp the point of this blog.

In a nutshell, I am an aging diabetic striving to accomplish one last grand physical endeavor before time limits my options.
My drive towards the ultra-marathon was tied to raising funds for Juvenile Diabetes Research, but it has been closed. I still encourage you to visit the JDRF web site and make a pledge --> http://www.jdrf.org/

Friday, January 28, 2011

Almost Time

November 6th, 2010:  Dang, Sunday is the big day and I am at a loss to convey my feelings.  Even though I am not intimidated by the distance I am discouraged that I have no strategy and no experience for a run of this length.  I clearly recall trying to keep up with other folks in 10K runs from fifteen years ago and that was only inspirational.  In a race of this length it could bear severe consequences if I don’t pay attention to how I’m feeling.

Dispatched my final training run this afternoon, a simple twenty minute jaunt.  Didn’t feel that good and only registered an 8:40 pace, but the last thing I wanted to do was pull a muscle or otherwise injure myself before game day.  Scooted over to the USS North Carolina battleship this afternoon to pick up my packet, which included my number tag, t-shirt and a bag of goodies and coupons.

There were quite a few folks around doing the same thing, making me think it will be rather crowded tomorrow.  Only one wrinkle in the registration process: as I was making my way through the various stations I came upon a woman sitting by a container of safety pins which you use to fasten your number tag.  I started grabbing four and she instructed me that they were already in the plastic bag I was holding.  Well tonight I was nervously trying to ensure I had adequate snacks tucked into my belt and covering all of the other bases when I realized the promised safety pins were absent.  Thus ensued a twenty minute scavenger hunt and I caught myself wondering whatever happened to the omnipresent fasteners from my youth.  Made obsolete by Velcro?  Whatever, I finally discovered three in one of Kim’s jewelry drawers and attached the paper slip to the shirt I’ll be wearing tomorrow.

Now it is lights out, just a bit later than I had planned.  The good news is that we turn our clocks back tonight, so I will enjoy some bonus rest before tomorrow’s challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment