Welcome

You should probably read the very first entry to grasp the point of this blog.

In a nutshell, I am an aging diabetic striving to accomplish one last grand physical endeavor before time limits my options.
My drive towards the ultra-marathon was tied to raising funds for Juvenile Diabetes Research, but it has been closed. I still encourage you to visit the JDRF web site and make a pledge --> http://www.jdrf.org/

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Game Day Approaches…

October31st, 2010:  Things are getting serious.  I’m back home and the half marathon is only a week away!  Despite having confidence I can cover the distance without ado, the pace is the whole conundrum.  What if I start off too quickly and completely burn up?  Diabetic concerns are also weighing heavy as my wife is away this weekend and the original vision that she would retrieve me afterwards is replaced with the responsibility to be doubly certain I finish with my head on straight to get home and insure my daughter and all the animals (four cats and a dog) are okay.

That isn’t a monstrous dilemma because my goal is to have no goals.  The ongoing battle in my head is to dismiss concerns around the time I register, but the competitive spirit is difficult to resist.  I really, really want to finish in less than two hours and feel like I could shave a few minutes off that with where I am at the moment.

But I am uncertain I have mapped my routes with accurate distances and could be kidding myself my paces are correct.  Worse yet, I discovered that I mapped out the dates of my training routine incorrectly: appears I was a week early on everything.  As someone who never followed any official regimen this should be easy to dismiss, but there is the combined tension of competing and diabetes.  Perhaps the goal needs to be simply demonstrating I can complete a half marathon with diabetes.

I’ve managed an eight minute mile pace for my runs this week, but they are only for thirty minutes as my program winds me down for the big event.  I will be so relieved after next Sunday, even though it will mark the beginning of training for the full marathon!

No comments:

Post a Comment