Welcome

You should probably read the very first entry to grasp the point of this blog.

In a nutshell, I am an aging diabetic striving to accomplish one last grand physical endeavor before time limits my options.
My drive towards the ultra-marathon was tied to raising funds for Juvenile Diabetes Research, but it has been closed. I still encourage you to visit the JDRF web site and make a pledge --> http://www.jdrf.org/

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Dayton daze

October20th, 2010:   I return to Dayton once a month for three to five days for work.  I’ve shared that we used to live here and I am enjoying jogging down familiar pathways.  But as game day draws nearer, I think there are further benefits.  Where we live now is coastal Carolina and pretty darn flat, so routes at home lack any uphill tests.  Not so in Dayton, where I try to tackle hills during my lunchtime training jaunts.

My employer boasts a really splendid athletic facility and it is very convenient to duck out over lunch for a run.  The bad news is that I don’t pack along my heart rate monitor and this time I even forgot to bring along a small gym bag…so I had to lug my sneakers and running clothes to the office in a small plastic bag, lol.  I am further ashamed to share that today I forgot to cram a comb into my plastic bag, so I had to “finger comb” my hair after I got out of the shower!

That is all secondary, however.  I have been doing this working commute for about five years now and always lapsed into inactivity when on the road.  The challenge of Le Grand Raid has me motivated to seize on every opportunity to train, and I am treasuring it.  What is truly telling is how much I revel in pacing down long forgotten routes, constantly amused how things have changed or remained the same.

1 comment:

  1. [quote]What is truly telling is how much I revel in pacing down long forgotten routes, constantly amused how things have changed or remained the same.[/quote]

    Yeah..., memory lane can be one of the best streets to train on :)

    ReplyDelete