Welcome

You should probably read the very first entry to grasp the point of this blog.

In a nutshell, I am an aging diabetic striving to accomplish one last grand physical endeavor before time limits my options.
My drive towards the ultra-marathon was tied to raising funds for Juvenile Diabetes Research, but it has been closed. I still encourage you to visit the JDRF web site and make a pledge --> http://www.jdrf.org/

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Maine Event

October24th, 2010:   Another aspect you should be aware of is my love of Maine.  With luck my wife and I will be able to return here for retirement as it is where our hearts lie.  Even though we moved away from paradise nine years ago, we find ourselves frequently heading down east and I am gleefully back at the moment.

I was the Treasurer for a conservation land trust for several years in the early nineties when we lived near the shores of Merrymeeting Bay.  Merrymeeting Bay is a remarkable natural area and several years ago I was asked to return as the ‘virtual’ treasurer’ for Friends of Merrymeeting Bay…which I did.  The responsibilities are a minimal donation of effort, knowing that I am helping to protect and preserve an environmental gem.

The local membership of the organization are the ones really paying dues to ensure the Bay’s survival, but our Executive Coordinator recently resigned and I was asked to be around for interviews for her replacement.  What, come to Maine?  Sure!

The wrinkle was that I had to head straight there from a week at the home office in Dayton.  This complicated packing as I had to bring along office attire for five days and then a few days of potential winter wear.  A small fee to pay for the blessing of returning to Maine.

I adore catching up with Maine acquaintances and even though Saturday went on forever with six one-hour interviews, it was excellent to be home again.  Crashed at my buddy Ed’s place (he maintains a farm on the shores of Merrymeeting Bay) and as always, he provided several good book recommendations in addition to being an amazing host.

The only difference this time was training for Le Grand Raid.  Arose at 7AM today to complete a five mile run…I haven’t run down Maine roads since 2000 (didn’t "run into" Joanie, however…  J).  Apologies that I didn’t take my camera along, becuse the run was a scenic gallery.  Striding along the Merrymeeting Bay shores is gorgeous, and I was tickled to count four of my five miles along Pork Point Road, lol.

After getting back and showering, I followed Ed (the chairperson of Friends of Merrymeeting Bay) to walk about our latest conservation easement project.   Seems like these are always complicated ventures and this latest initiative is particularly complex – quite glad Ed walked me about so I could appreciate the different parcels and learn their relevance.

But being back in Maine I had grander plans for the day and planned sensibly to accommodate diabetic concerns (i.e., after running five miles and tramping about in marshy woods for an hour I was sure to have plenty of snacks in my pack).  I really treasure Camden Hills State Park, a spot where I would occasionally hike and camp when residing here.  This is the home of Mount Battie, the peak where Edna St. Vincent Millay was inspired to pen Renascence:

All I could see from where I stood
Was three long mountains and a wood
I turned and looked another way
And saw three islands in a bay.
So with my eyes I traced the line
Of the horizon, thin and fine
Straight around till I was come
Back to where I started from

And I all I saw from where I stood
Was three long mountains and a wood


After today I have been to the top of Mt. Battie four times, never using the car road to the top.  The best time was when I hiked up after arising in my tent and reaching the peak around 8AM --- there were no humans but a single pileated woodpecker.  This is the only pileated woodpecker I have ever seen, and it was just so enormous it took my breath away!

I was alerted to his presence by the loud beating of huge wings.  It was a beautiful moment and this pre-dated my appreciation of travel and the diversity of our planet.  Another take-away for fellow diabetics is that you don’t need to trot about the globe to appreciate life.  There is a multitude of beauty in your back yard which can be enjoyed.  Some folks frowned on the simple task of me camping out solo but I can only encourage you to get out there and experience the beauty of our world, whether it is nature or other cultures, nearby or distant.

Beautiful Camden, Maine from Mount Battie

No comments:

Post a Comment