Welcome

You should probably read the very first entry to grasp the point of this blog.

In a nutshell, I am an aging diabetic striving to accomplish one last grand physical endeavor before time limits my options.
My drive towards the ultra-marathon was tied to raising funds for Juvenile Diabetes Research, but it has been closed. I still encourage you to visit the JDRF web site and make a pledge --> http://www.jdrf.org/

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Equipment Break

I mentioned the monthly note cards I prepare to keep my wits sharp on tending to diabetes, but failed to mention the previous month’s topic.  For longer runs I need to carry along a small contingent of necessary supplies, duly noted in my August note card:

-                      sufficient snacks (pack of crackers, roll of glucose tabs and one hammer gel at a minimum – additional hammer gel for eight to ten miles);
-                      Road ID bracelet
-                      Cell phone
-                      $20 cash

Needed to embed this list in my brain so I was ready to confront any curve balls faced during a run.  Of course back-up calories are the chief ingredient for unexpected blood sugar lows (or for longer runs, regularly expected lows), but the cell phone to get help if needed, and a little cash to buy food, medical supplies or a taxi ride home.

The other accessory was recommended by wife – the Road ID bracelet.  A brilliantly simple concept, this is an inexpensive wrist band that contains basic personal identification (mine also provides an alert that I’m diabetic).  If you are incapacitated in a road accident or by a medical emergency, the ID yields first responders basic info and has a phone number plus web site where further details may be pulled up (your doctor, emergency contact, etc.).

Somewhat crazy to think that I used to run with only a pack of crackers in my pocket…no wallet or personal ID!  My comfort level has increased greatly wearing the Road ID bracelet (also available as a necklace or shoe tag) and it should be considered essential gear for all road runners, diabetics in particular.  I’ll share the web site if you are interested à https://www.myroadid.com/Common/Default.aspx.

To carry all this stuff I purchased a nifty LL Bean belt pack (it is actually called the “multi-sport hydration pack,” referencing a belt with several pockets for storage and capable of holding two water bottles).  Even though it wasn’t on my note card, I also pack a water bottle for runs of eight miles and beyond.  The belt fits comfortably and although it tends to slide to one side or the other, it has become an accepted part of my runs.  I’ve only answered one call while running, but it was surprisingly easy to swing the belt around (the pockets usually rest on your back), unzip the pocket and snatch my phone.  I like that my wife can contact me if need be in addition to knowing I can solicit assistance if I need to bail.

The water bottle is probably a drag for the long runs, but I obviously won’t need it for the official half marathon with all of the water stations, so I consider the extra weight as part of the training regimen.  LL Bean’s hydration belt delivers for my purposes and has become standard gear for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment