Welcome

You should probably read the very first entry to grasp the point of this blog.

In a nutshell, I am an aging diabetic striving to accomplish one last grand physical endeavor before time limits my options.
My drive towards the ultra-marathon was tied to raising funds for Juvenile Diabetes Research, but it has been closed. I still encourage you to visit the JDRF web site and make a pledge --> http://www.jdrf.org/

Sunday, January 2, 2011

Further Along the Road

August 27th, 2010:  So the competitive spirit was rising and I was attacking my runs at a brisker pace than recommended by my training guide.  Even though I pledged to dismiss concerns around quickness for the marathon and Le Grand Raid, I wanted to register a quality time for the half marathon – definitely under two hours.  I am of the mind that the diabetes won’t be a huge minus for the half and thus far am encouraged that I could trot it without any ‘momentum-crushing’ stops to test my blood sugar.

Alas, I pulled a hamstring big time last Friday.  The training program had me scheduled for a fifty minute run and I aimed for a 150 pulse during this circuit.  Big mistake as a mile in I felt my left hamstring go and it hurt.  Backed off and tried two times to pick it up again, but it was clear that I was injured.  Abandoned my run and walked back home.

Dunno if I told you about our new dog, but he may have been the culprit.  Rain is a three year old Yellow Labrador, our new pooch after almost a year without since our beloved Haley (the golden retriever who was with us the last fifteen years) was put down.  Rain is a ninety pound ball of energy who Kim takes out every morning and I take out in the evening.  We usually cover two miles in thirty minutes, but it has been painful after my training runs, especially since Rain abruptly stops and starts back up.

The Rain man enjoying an ocean stroll at Carolina Beach

Though I knew this was crap for my legs, we persisted with this routine until my hamstring blew out.  I took a week off from running and re-joined Massage Envy to get some loving treatment for injured muscles.  Now I only walk with Rain and feel good that our hound is getting the attention he deserves without stressing my leg muscles.  He really doesn’t seem to mind that we tackle our evening rounds at a leisurely pace, and it actually serves to stretch my muscles after longer runs.

September 10th, 2010:  Very encouraged after some difficult times dealing with my injury.  I quit running for a full week and will confess my hamstring was still painful when I went out for fifty minutes last Friday. Two times I attempted to accelerate the pace before sensing the hamstring about to snap again, and quickly backed off.  The happy outcome was completing the run at a sensible pace without aggravating the injury.

Completed the scheduled five miles Sunday at a 9:20 minute pace which wasn’t stellar, but once again I never stressed myself when I heard screams from my hamstring.  Last two runs have been terrific.  My forty minute trot on Wednesday covered 4.7 miles for an 8:30 pace, despite not pushing it (the hamstring is still complaining).  This afternoon I was scheduled for fifty minutes and I was quite pleased to cover 5.8 miles for an 8:40 pace.

Last Sunday I had to punt on the seven mile run (I am following a program that is supposed to peak you out for the scheduled half marathon on November 7th).  So this Sunday I face an eight miler without having attempted the seven --- my marathon bible stressed you should sit out when injured, but anything missed is simply missed and you continue with the program when back in action.  That recommendation gets put to the test with the next run.

No comments:

Post a Comment