Welcome

You should probably read the very first entry to grasp the point of this blog.

In a nutshell, I am an aging diabetic striving to accomplish one last grand physical endeavor before time limits my options.
My drive towards the ultra-marathon was tied to raising funds for Juvenile Diabetes Research, but it has been closed. I still encourage you to visit the JDRF web site and make a pledge --> http://www.jdrf.org/

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Train, train (don’t) go away

October1st, 2010:  So I am clearly in the jaws of competition for the first time in eons.  Despite a desperate desire to concentrate on conquering long distances without dwelling on time, I am pushing myself.  A bit shameful that the motivation is avoiding public embarrassment, but the results are dramatic: when you consider my twelve minute pace at the start, I’ve come a long way.  Had a forty minute run Wednesday and a fifty minute run today, and completed both at sub eight minute mile paces!

There is clear value in competition.  I’ve slogged along the last dozen years marking miles with no concern over improving, but running against others is a driver to run harder.  This awareness gives me a rush at the beginning of each run --- do I really want to push myself?  Without the competitive carrot I would not, but once you commit to a brisk pace it seems to carry you through the entire run.

I realize eight minute miles aren’t anything to brag about, but clicking off six miles at this pace marks a personal landmark.  Two months ago I couldn’t have accomplished this, so the training is bearing fruit.  The message for everyone, diabetics and non-diabetics alike, is to get involved with life.  Tackling Le Grand Raid has awakened me to how much more awaits if you push the envelope.

I am probably an idiot to think I can complete the half marathon in less than two hours, but the diabetic restrictions shouldn’t compromise me terribly at this distance and I have set sights on the target…wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment