Welcome

You should probably read the very first entry to grasp the point of this blog.

In a nutshell, I am an aging diabetic striving to accomplish one last grand physical endeavor before time limits my options.
My drive towards the ultra-marathon was tied to raising funds for Juvenile Diabetes Research, but it has been closed. I still encourage you to visit the JDRF web site and make a pledge --> http://www.jdrf.org/

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Dawn of a New Regimen

First long run of the regimen this morning.  Trod eighteen miles and I am oddly psyched for the new challenge.  Ran pretty slow, but I’ve abandoned concerns over pace and it is a good thing à my Garmin Sports Watch died at mile fourteen.  Guess it is working overtime with all of these miles I’m accumulating and I will need to be mindful of keeping it charged!

Weather forecast was crappy for today and so I abandoned a run down to Carolina Beach, my cell phone, and my i-Pod.  Leaving the cell phone behind had me wary of straying too far from home and I just did laps around the neighborhood, which was actually fun because I crossed Kim and Rain out for a walk at miles eight and nine.  J

Thus far the mileage for week one is 37.5, about the maximum I ran during marathon training.  Tomorrow Kim and I will be adding to that amount by running a 5K and I anticipate being a bit stiff, so the plan is to try and keep pace with her.  Don’t want to push it too hard and injure myself, though the short run should be a good entrée to the future --- from here on out I will be putting in ten miles each Sunday…typically after running a marathon Saturday!

Have I asked you to make a donation to my fund raiser?  Truly hope this effort attracts some dollars towards important research benefitting those with diabetes  and that web site again is JDRF Donations.

I should also mention that I set up a charitable association and if you don’t want to use the JDRF web site to make a contribution via credit card, you are invited to make a check out to ULTRA FUND RAIDER (note that it is not fund “raiser”) and mail it to:

Vance Stephenson
6047 Willow Glen Drive
Wilmington, NC  28412

I cannot express how much these contributions have meant so far…and it is quite possible I would have bailed on running the marathon without knowing some generous folks were supporting me.  To those who have donated so far, please know how grateful I am for the boost and the difference these funds will make in the lives of other diabetics.  Without past research I wouldn’t be around…let alone striving to run fifty at fifty!

No comments:

Post a Comment