Welcome

You should probably read the very first entry to grasp the point of this blog.

In a nutshell, I am an aging diabetic striving to accomplish one last grand physical endeavor before time limits my options.
My drive towards the ultra-marathon was tied to raising funds for Juvenile Diabetes Research, but it has been closed. I still encourage you to visit the JDRF web site and make a pledge --> http://www.jdrf.org/

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Hitting the Wall?

March 6th, 2011.   Ick.  A disappointing attempt at twenty miles this morning which leaves me questioning whether I am even up to completing a marathon.  Kicked off bright and early, despite another night of unrest (I am not getting quality slumbers these days as my wrist ends to stiffen up and wake me up several times every night).  I wanted to be off and running because the forecast augured rain showers moving in by mid-morning.  Though it was sunny and promising as I set off, after a half hour brisk rains began and would drench me for the next forty-five minutes.

Plugged away at running laps around the neighborhood and didn’t feel too bad until mile sixteen.  At this point my legs began feeling like lead, even though I had snacked recently – the only encouraging thing was that I had successfully timed my snacks and my mind and stride were functioning well.

I bailed at 17.5 miles and headed for home, not wanting to wind up too far away feeling like utter crap.  Ran past my house and well past in the opposite direction, but the lethargy continued and when I passed my house again at 19.4 miles I called it a day.  Did I hit the wall?  My understanding of “hitting the wall” was when your body was completely deprived of carbohydrates to fuel further effort.  Technically I would never reach that point because Type I diabetes would cause me to pass out before the fuel tank reached empty.  I’m a rookie at all this long distance running and so I don’t really know what happened, but it is a discouraging event right before the marathon.

Ran practically the same distance during eighteen miler (19.3 miles) and didn’t feel too bad…certainly not like I did the last few miles of this run.  Is it the layoff, the pain and fitful sleep, or perhaps getting soaked early on?  I’m praying the culprit won’t rear its ugly head again in two weeks and I’ve opted to take things much slower --- the four hour goal is officially history.

Not a good day…

No comments:

Post a Comment