Welcome

You should probably read the very first entry to grasp the point of this blog.

In a nutshell, I am an aging diabetic striving to accomplish one last grand physical endeavor before time limits my options.
My drive towards the ultra-marathon was tied to raising funds for Juvenile Diabetes Research, but it has been closed. I still encourage you to visit the JDRF web site and make a pledge --> http://www.jdrf.org/

Saturday, April 2, 2011

The Impatient Patient

February 25th, 2011.   So the marathon training has suffered a serious blow with this latest injury.  This was supposed to the ultimate L-O-N-G week in the program, about forty miles, with things winding down after that until game day on March 20th.  But going in for surgery obviously clobbered that schedule.

In the back of my mind I would punt on the Tuesday + Thursday runs this week, then hit the road again Friday and still complete the twenty mile trot slated for this Sunday.  Didn’t see any issues because the Urgent Care physician had blessed the eight mile run with a broken wrist last weekend, and when I shared this tidbit with the orthopedic doctor Monday he just smiled and congratulated me on my pain threshold.  I accepted the lack of response as an okay that I could keep running after surgery, and there was no reference to activity levels in any of the post-op recovery material.

But the recovery has been more painful and stressful than anticipated, so I dialed the doctor up before setting off Friday.  It was just a 45-minute run and I wasn’t going to push myself, so I took off an hour after leaving a message with the doctor and getting no call back.  Fortunately I packed my cell phone, because Kim called me a half hour into the run with news that the doctor proclaimed an immediate cease and desist.

The word was “no running” until the check-up next Thursday.  So a two week layoff just as I should have been peaking…not a confidence booster.

No comments:

Post a Comment