Welcome

You should probably read the very first entry to grasp the point of this blog.

In a nutshell, I am an aging diabetic striving to accomplish one last grand physical endeavor before time limits my options.
My drive towards the ultra-marathon was tied to raising funds for Juvenile Diabetes Research, but it has been closed. I still encourage you to visit the JDRF web site and make a pledge --> http://www.jdrf.org/

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Oman? Oh, Man! Part XII: The Final Wrap

March, 2010.  Oman was an exquisite adventure.  Almost inconceivable that such a wonderful experience resulted from waylaid plans.  We scrambled to put together an itinerary after our original destination got pre-empted, but I can assure you the regrets are gone now.

My key impressions around Oman are that it is wonderfully receptive of visitors.  Other Arabic countries are difficult for female travelers, but I feel this is a haven in a notorious region.  That said, despite coming away with the impression that woman could travel here with far less hassle, what I read about the progressive treatment of Omani woman was not evident.  I don’t recall seeing many women walking around unaccompanied by males (ostensibly their husband) and most were veiled.  While Oman is certainly not as repressive as its neighbors, there remains a long way to go.

The most incredible facet of Oman was the wealth of interesting destinations.  We never grew weary of checking out another fort and there are hundreds beyond the handful we visited.  Natural beauty also abounds.  We scratched the surface over our two days with Naseeb, but there are beautiful wadis and amazing hikes around every corner.




So that brings me current with recent travels.  My hope is that it has provided some inspiration for you to get out and explore, particularly if you are diabetic.  I have had to pay attention to health concerns during these adventures, but the return on the investment has been truly astounding --- diabetes should never limit travel aspirations.


The brighter news is that from here on out this blog focuses strictly on Reunion and the current adventure…so this blog should be MUCH easier to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment