Welcome

You should probably read the very first entry to grasp the point of this blog.

In a nutshell, I am an aging diabetic striving to accomplish one last grand physical endeavor before time limits my options.
My drive towards the ultra-marathon was tied to raising funds for Juvenile Diabetes Research, but it has been closed. I still encourage you to visit the JDRF web site and make a pledge --> http://www.jdrf.org/

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Live and in Concert!

So no more post-dated entries à finally current with the saga and things should be easier to follow from here on out.  Of course you won’t get a new entry every day, which was the motivation for stockpiling some stuff before I started publishing.  I thought nobody would follow the story without constant entries, but not too many folks seem to be following thus far, so I suppose there’s no loss.


And now for our first real time entry:

Completed a seven mile run Sunday morning at a snail’s pace, but it seems like I’ve been pushing too hard too early during the shorter ‘recovery’ runs so I was content to just cover some miles.  The route paralleled last Sunday’s jaunt, but this time there was no roadblock when I reached River Road.  It was sobering to pass the scene of the tragedy, particularly because two ghostly bikes were parked there (painted entirely white, including tires), labeled with the names of the father and son.  L

About a mile afterwards I ran right into a mass of bicyclists (roughly one thousand per local news sources) who were beginning a memorial ride and I actually got a bit teary running past this sad gathering (I was headed the opposite direction).  Really quite moving…

Monday evening I consulted some web sites my wife had passed along around training for ultra-marathons to create a new program now that my recovery period is officially over and HOLY CRAP!  I’m going have to start running my behind off.  I will tell you that I was always surprised at how little they made you run for the marathons – three days one week and four the next, with the greatest mileage in any single week around forty.

The new regimen is at an entirely different level.  I’ll be pounding the pavement five days every week and logging between fifty and sixty miles for stretches of three weeks, followed by a “rest” week that backs down to forty.  Have I mentioned I’m not gonna fret over how quickly I run any longer???

The runs are structured for three runs of medium length (four to twelve miles) Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday, with the big run (22-26 miles) on Saturday and usually another ten on Sunday.  So once again you don’t run anything close to what is required for the main event at one shot…but this time I’m not questioning the wisdom!

Was slated to run four and six miles yesterday and today, but turned in a bit more (4.6 and 6.4) in hopes of shaving a bit from Saturday’s eighteen.  I actually picked eighteen miles because the schedule was for twenty weeks and there are only fifteen weeks until game day.  Kim and I signed up to run a 5K together on Sunday morning so I don’t want to completely annihilate myself right before, although I can already sense the stiffness.

Didn’t run too hard, but probably a little harder than I intended and hopefully that won’t cause me grief when I set out for eight more miles tomorrow.  Goodness, each stage of this adventure is turning into its own mini-drama…

No comments:

Post a Comment