Welcome

You should probably read the very first entry to grasp the point of this blog.

In a nutshell, I am an aging diabetic striving to accomplish one last grand physical endeavor before time limits my options.
My drive towards the ultra-marathon was tied to raising funds for Juvenile Diabetes Research, but it has been closed. I still encourage you to visit the JDRF web site and make a pledge --> http://www.jdrf.org/

Friday, April 8, 2011

On the Downside

March 13th, 2011.    The training program is winding down seriously, but I’m still suffering from concern over last Sunday’s debacle.  Only three runs this week and I was back in Dayton for the first two. Ran forty minutes on Tuesday (covered 4.7 miles for an 8:30 pace, okay but certainly some backsliding), and a final “tempo” run on Thursday with two ten minute sessions of accelerated pace.  Of course I also had sprints on Thursday and attacked them with vigor, trying to regain some confidence.

Today I only had to do six miles, but tacked on an extra half mile and completed the circuit at an 8:05 pace, so some good news there.  Of course speed has fallen off the pedestal as a concern and I am gripped by the fear that stamina is where my deficiency lies.  Since I won’t be doing anything of length before game day, I’ll strive to keep from dwelling on it and depressing myself.  Everybody is very encouraging and I received a few nice donations to my event this week, which goes a long way towards resuscitating the psyche.  Trying to keep the faith!

March 19th, 2011.    Tomorrow is game day and leading up to it were three short runs this week.  Twenty minutes on Monday (ran a little over twenty minutes, covering 2.7 miles for a 7:50 pace), followed by thirty minutes on Tuesday (again ran a bit longer, covering 4.1 miles at 7:50 again) and Thursday (somewhat disappointing 8:05 pace for this last run).  Wrapped the training up with a final sprint session, which I pursued hard for a final attempt to improve my form.

I remain tense and worried that I will be unable to complete the marathon, though hopefully it comes down to the pace I maintain.  If I can keep the throttle down one would think I should endure, but who knows?  I was brimming with confidence a few weeks back, hitting a 9:00 pace for the sixteen mile route and extending the eighteen miler to 19.3, but I suppose breaking your wrist and undergoing surgery a few weeks beforehand isn’t among the recommendations in any marathon training guide.

Kim had another 5K this morning and that certainly bolstered my spirits.  She kicked butt, trimming five minutes off of her previous time!  Being immersed in all the athletes at the event and her triumph at the finish line was inspiring, but rapidly morphed into butterflies afterwards.

Had to drive to a resort near the start line after lunch to pick up my packet for the race, which did little to ease the tension.  Traffic was miserable, especially at the resort, and it took quite a bit longer than anticipated to get parked.  Fairly expedient picking up my tag and chip, although to get to your shirt you were forced through an expo of vendors (although Bill Rodgers was at one stand!) which proceeded slowly and with much badgering from hopeful salespeople.

Now there is little to do but watch the clock.

No comments:

Post a Comment