Welcome

You should probably read the very first entry to grasp the point of this blog.

In a nutshell, I am an aging diabetic striving to accomplish one last grand physical endeavor before time limits my options.
My drive towards the ultra-marathon was tied to raising funds for Juvenile Diabetes Research, but it has been closed. I still encourage you to visit the JDRF web site and make a pledge --> http://www.jdrf.org/

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Recovery

March 27th, 2011.    An enjoyable week of recovery from the marathon effort.  The leg muscles were really, really stiff Monday and it was tough to complete a thirty minute run over lunch.  Of course that was a mistake because I had dates screwed up – was supposed to have a rest the day after.  But as miserable as I felt during the slog, it certainly loosened things up a bit.  I could actually walk up and down steps afterwards!

No doubt about it though, I was clearly reveling in the joy of completing the marathon in decent time.  Things loosened up a bit on Tuesday and I went out for another thirty minute run Thursday, completed at an 8:15 pace so it felt like I was quickly getting back on track.  The recovery slid a bit today, however, as I only managed an 8:30 pace over a measly three mile jaunt.

I’ve read it can take six weeks to recover from running a marathon, but now I’m confronted with tackling a schedule to prepare for an ultra-marathon.  Plan is to sneak a bit more mileage than laid out in the official “recovery plan” from my marathon book…but nothing outrageous.

No comments:

Post a Comment