Welcome

You should probably read the very first entry to grasp the point of this blog.

In a nutshell, I am an aging diabetic striving to accomplish one last grand physical endeavor before time limits my options.
My drive towards the ultra-marathon was tied to raising funds for Juvenile Diabetes Research, but it has been closed. I still encourage you to visit the JDRF web site and make a pledge --> http://www.jdrf.org/

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

No butts about it…

Happy to report I cranked out the entire 9.4 miles on Sunday to make it another forty mile week.  It was at a slow pace, but sun and heat have returned to North Carolina and it was already toasty when I hit the road around 10:30AM.  Still glad that I didn’t feel whipped like I did on those back-to-back runs while training for the marathon – that’s a huge benefit of the new, relaxed pace.

You might suspect I am a glutton for punishment as I opted out of the scheduled rest day and ran another eight miles Monday evening.  The motivation, however, was medical in nature.  If you happen to be a doubting Thomas and don’t believe I am attempting this ultra-marathon in celebration of reaching fifty years of age, please know the reason for bumping the run up is because I have a colonoscopy Wednesday morning!  And believe me, there’s no way I would volunteer for such a procedure unless cracking the half century mark required it…

The plan was for 4 miles, 8 miles and another 8 miles over Tuesday – Thursday, so after yesterday’s eight I’ll get the four in over lunch today.  After that I have to start up all “medication” to prepare me for tomorrow’s procedure and I don’t think I wanna be too far away from facilities when that begins…no butts about it.

Will have to ask the doctor tomorrow whether I’ll be able to run eight miles the day after, but I suspect that will be cool and afford a rest day before the 22-miler Saturday morning.

Successfully launched a new listening program during yesterday’s eight miler à I’ve been remiss about devoting time to learning French but made up a play list that had some lessons mixed in and it worked beautifully!  Will continue to mix the audio lessons in with tunes and we’ll see whether or not I can learn French on the run…

No comments:

Post a Comment